(adapted slightly from this recipe by Soaring Free Superfoods)
This mayo is super creamy and delicious with just the right amount of “tang”. What’s more, the addition of baobab powder adds an extra dose of nutrition (this African “superfruit” is high in vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, iron, antioxidants, fibre etc.)
You can play around with other flavours eg: fresh dill is a great addition and makes this mayo a delicious dip for roast potato wedges. I have also used this versatile mayo as a burger topping, in mock “tuna/egg-mayo” or in potato salad.
To make, simply blend the following ingredients in a Nutribullet/high speed blender, until smooth:
- 90 ml good quality olive oil (a milder flavour is best)
- 90 ml filtered/spring water*
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (add a bit more for a sharper taste if prefered)
- 1 tsp liquid sweetener (eg: maple syrup, coconut syrup)
- 1 TBS baobab powder (can leave out if you don’t have)
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp herb salt (start with less, add more to taste)
- optional: 1 garlic clove
- optional flavourings: fresh dill or a jalapeño/chili for a spicy mayo
NB: this makes about 130ml of mayo. Stores up to a week in the fridge in a sealed container/jar.
*Tip: for a thicker mayo, add less water (about 70 ml to start with).