Tropical Summer Smoothie Bowl
It is summertime in South Africa – my favourite time of year! A time when one is spoiled for choice with delicious fruits such as mangos, peaches, nectarines, spanspeks (sweet melons), watermelon, granadillas… and the list goes on! Of course, this amazing selection means more exciting smoothies, bursting with flavour and colour.
When I arrived at my family’s home for the holidays, I was delighted to see that my dad had just made a trip to the local market and had bought several large boxes of fruit.* I immediately planned my first smoothie bowl, inspired by our beautiful sunny weather…. hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 1 mango
- 1 peach
- 1-2 granadillas (if you prefer a smoother texture without all the “bits” – leave out)
- 1/2 cup spring water (or almond/coconut/hemp milk – if not using coconut flakes)
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 2 dates (or leave out if sweet enough)
- 1 TBS nut butter (I used Macadamia nut butter)
- optional add-ins: 1/4 tsp turmeric and/or small piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth (add more water if you would prefer to drink it out a glass). Pour into a bowl and top with extra coconut, berries, granadilla etc. Sit in the sunshine and enjoy!
- NB: for a delicious treat and variation, serve on top of chia pudding and layer with fresh fruit and granola: Fruity Chia Parfait
*Tip: When buying fruit in bulk: to ensure nothing goes to waste, peel and chop up fruit and place into freezer-safe containers/ziplock bags – ready for smoothies, sorbets, ice-cream, raw desserts etc. Fruit such as mangos, nectarines, peaches, pineapples, bananas and strawberries are perfect examples.