I first tried this shot during Jason Vale’s “Big Juice Challenge“. I have completed other juice challenges/fasts before, but this one was so much easier as his juice and smoothie combinations are amazing. I highly recommend trying one of his challenges, even if it is just his 3 day one.
Although not enjoyed by everyone, ginger is certainly a favourite of mine. This hot, fragrant root has countless benefits, especially when the freshly extracted juice is consumed. Benefits include: powerful anti-inflammatory, immune and metabolism booster, soothes digestions, relieves nausea and indigestion (see more here).
Adding apple to the shot makes it slightly more palatable, as pure ginger juice is pretty potent! The freshly extracted apple juice also has added benefits such as liver cleansing, increased antioxidants and immune-boosting.
- Large piece of ginger (about 2-3cm)
- 1/2 – 1 whole apple (peeled if not organic)
- Push all ingredients through a juicer.
- Pour into a shot glass and drink immediately (all in one go, if you dare!)
Instead of apple, try adding the following:
- 1/2-1 lemon with some of the peel (if organic)
- small piece of turmeric root
- 1/2 orange, peel removed
- 1/2 beetroot (great detoxifier and energy boost!)
- 1/2 lemon, with a dash of cayenne and 1/2 tsp honey stirred in (perfect flu shot!)