This is my go-to smoothie most mornings when I don’t have time to create fancy smoothie bowls. Papaya has a soothing effect on your stomach and is easy on your system after a whole night of fasting. Ginger is also an excellent digestion aid, among other amazing health benefits.
- 1 Frozen banana
- 1/2 Papaya (peeled and most seeds removed – see notes)
- Large knob of fresh ginger, peeled
- Dash of cinnamon
- Honey/2-3 dates
- 3-4 Leaves of fresh mint
- 1/2 – 1 cup water/almond milk
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend together until smooth.
- Recently, I was surprised to read the many health benefits of eating papaya seeds. I would normally remove all seeds before blending as the seeds have quite a strong peppery taste. However, after reading that the seeds have benefits such as getting rid of parasites, assisting with digestion, and antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, I realised that I was throwing away a powerhouse of nutrients. I now leave some of the seeds behind and blend them along with the smoothie (about a tablespoon, but adjust according to taste).
- As I use a high speed blender, the seeds get ground quite finely. If you do not own a powerful blender, you may need to add less seeds.