Raw Choc Brownies
These raw brownies are my absolute favourite – their rich, dark chocolate taste definitely satisfies any cravings! This is another treat which I will make and store in the freezer – perfect for when a chocolate craving strikes 😉 When asked to bring dessert to a dinner, this is usually my go-to recipe (Note: allow at least an hour to set, and keep in the freezer until ready to serve).
This recipe has been adapted from Rawmazing. For the original recipe, click here.
- 2 cups nuts (I usually use a mix of pecans and walnuts)
- 1 cup cocoa/raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch Himalayan salt
- 2 cups dried dates (soaked in hot water for at least 30 min – easier to blend, especially if your processor is not a powerful one)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1 TBS honey (optional – if you want it sweeter)
- Place all the dry ingredients (everything except for the dates and honey) in a food processor and process until finely ground.
- Using a sieve, drain as much of the liquid as you can from the pre-soaked dates – squeeze out any excess water (hint: you can save this “date water/syrup” to sweeten smoothies)
- Add the honey and dates, a few at a time, and process until all ingredients are well combined.
- Press into an 8 x 8-inch brownie pan (can use a Pyrex dish for thinner brownies)
- Spread icing on top (see below) and allow to chill in freezer for at least an hour before cutting.
- 2 TBS cocoa powder
- 2 TBS honey
- 2 TBS coconut oil, melted
- 1-2 TBS nut butter (eg: peanut butter, almond/macadamia butter)
- Optional – Zest of one orange, plus some of the juice (about 1 TBS)
- Optional – can sprinkle desiccated coconut, extra nuts, cranberries etc on top to decorate
- Mix all ingredients together. Pour over top of brownies and spread evenly. Chill until set (best kept in freezer until ready to serve)
- Cut into squares. Enjoy! 🙂